Thursday, February 28, 2013

30 Day Recovery Challenge: Day 5

5. Who supports you in your recovery?

Considering there are very few who know my "story" my support circle isn't that large.  But size isn't necessary with the power packed team I have.

Funny thing is, when I went back to therapy, I never expected to be diagnosed with an eating disorder, to be sent to a dietitian, to see my GP bi-weekly, etc, etc, etc.  I went back to therapy because I was not coping with life anymore, not bouncing back, and my GP, who tried taking care of my depression herself by prescribing anti-depressants - we tried two different ones, both of which I had severe reactions to.  So she did what any great doctor would do, she sent me to therapy.  My therapist sent me to my psychiatrist so we could get some med support (which was a journey in itself!) and after six months of struggling, she sent me to my dietitian.

I know, I know, this has been a long answer to a short question.  I'm almost done, I promise!

My GP and dietitian and therapist are the ones I work with the most, and they suggested I line up one or two people at work that can be support for me there if something comes up.  They have never steered me wrong, so I followed their suggestion and let two people into my world.

Which means my support comes from my treatment team, two colleagues, and my two best friends.  That's not a lot, but it's what I've got, and I value each and every one of them!

If you want to meet my support system, check out these past posts:


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a great team. So many people who struggle with depression or anxiety are afraid to seek treatment. Your stories about your treatment team will encourage someone out there to reach out to their doctor for help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am lucky with my team. They are all amazing individuals, and working with them all together? Quite spectacular. I hope that others find courage through this blog and DO reach out for help - sometimes it's hard, as I have had to educate some, but in general, they DO want to be helpful. IF they aren't? Time for a new doctor!

      Delete

So? What do you think?