Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day 13: A Public Apology

Dear World,

I want to apologize for my behavior when it comes to saying thank you.  More specifically, when it comes to writing thank you notes.

I suck at them.  I suck at them because I am so overwhelmed with gratitude upon receiving any gifts, that I am truly at a loss of words to appropriately express my appreciation for said gift - whatever it may be.  I push myself to attempt to write individual thank you notes to each person, and end up a mess of frustrating tears because it doesn't feel my words are able to convey my true appreciation.

It may sound like a lame excuse, but this began way back when I was a teen, and has been a life-long struggle.  I owe thank you notes for graduation presents, for housewarming gifts, and for gifts from students long ago received and still very much valued and appreciated.  Know that oftentimes, gifts sit unused for months, with the promise that I'll enjoy the gift once I've sent a thank you note.  And they sit, mocking me for months, until I finally crumble.

So if you've given me anything over the years, and you didn't get a formal thank you note, please know that I do so very, very much thank you for the gifts and the thoughts, and while I might never find the words to express my gratitude appropriately, my thanks is truly heartfelt.

Respectfully,
Violet

Day 13 Prompt: Issue a public apology. This can be as funny or as serious or as creative as you want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?