Wednesday, March 13, 2013

30 Day Recovery Challenge: Day 18

18. Do you have any other diagnosed disorders aside from an eating disorder? How are you dealing with these issues? If you don’t have another disorder, what are some psychological issues that affect your eating disorder right now?

Really?  
Really?  
Must we open *that* can of worms?
Just kidding. 
Really.

It's actually a good question to ask, because eating disorders often coexist with other mental illnesses.  And if it helps one person who also enjoys the feast I have been served, then it is worth taking the time to share.

Funny story, my life is.  I went into therapy for severe depression.  Never expected to be diagnosed with an eating disorder.  Then again, I didn't expect a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder diagnosis either.  I always thought that it was just how I was.  ADHD was diagnosed in college, but according to one of my grade school teachers, it made perfect sense as to how school rolled out for me.  I hated school.  It was *impossible* to concentrate.  Studying?  Not a chance.  Anything that required prolonged focus was not happening.  While I don't officially have an OCD diagnosis, I have a few too many of the tendencies.
  
In summary: 
Severe Depression.  PTSD.  ADHD.  OCD.  Anxiety.  
Oh, and an eating disorder.

At least that one is on it's way out.

How do I deal with all of this alphabet soup?  Therapy.  Lots and lots of therapy.  With an incredible therapist.  I can even give credit to my previous therapists, cause without experiencing them, I would never have known how challenging, yet powerful, therapy can be when you have the right therapist.  And considering my therapist is only one member of my treatment team, I know that I've got a lot of support to rely on as needed.

2 comments:

  1. "Alphabet soup" is a great description. It's all a learning process. Sometimes an intimidating one, but I think the important thing is to just keep learning. I've been hit with disassociation episodes for many, many years. At 37, I've just been informed that I can actually do something about then. It never even occurred to me to mention it to a counselor. I thought they were just a chemical/body thing that I had to endure. It sounds like what PTSD was for you. (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerimi. You totally nailed it. That is exactly what I've been experiencing. I never spoke about it before with any previous counselor, despite the fact that a few mentioned PTSD. When I realized what it was, and where it came from..... I hope, hope, hope that the episodes will eventually taper off.

      Thank you for sharing this with me. Makes me feel somewhat comforted to find that I'm not alone in how I experienced these symptoms and episodes!

      Delete

So? What do you think?