Friday, June 8, 2012

Arielle's Word-of-the-Day: TROUBLE

June Blog Challenge Day 8: TROUBLE

Ok.  Don't laugh.  But the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word trouble today?  Well... here.

I'm trouble, yeah 
trouble now
I'm trouble y'all, 
I got trouble in my town
I'm trouble, yeah 
trouble now
I'm trouble y'all, 
I got trouble in my town

Did you catch the tune?  You can listen here
(It's P!nk's lyric video - no images shown in the video.)

Ok.  I know I tend to hide behind lyrics or quotes.  So I'll elaborate a bit.

I cringe when I hear the word trouble.  Yes, I'm an adult (chronologically, at least) but I still worry about getting in trouble.  Especially with my team.  I am driven to work on tasks they set forth solely based on the fear of getting in trouble.  I hate screwing up, making a mistake, I hate doing anything that could get me in trouble.  Remember, I don't like to make waves.  To me, getting in trouble makes some pretty big waves.

As a kid, getting in trouble was not good.  Not good at all.  I think I took that fear of getting in trouble into my adult life.  While that fear may have been very rational as a kid, and a great coping mechanism to keep me from some harsh punishments, it's a tool that no longer serves me as an adult.  Instead, sometimes that fear of getting in trouble keeps me from trying.  Whenever someone says, "we need to talk," my stomach drops and I instantly think that I've done something wrong, that I'm in trouble.  That fear of making a mistake can keep me from taking a risk that could prove positive and successful.


 
On a lighter note... 
remember these?






Prompt: What does this word signify for  you? 
Does it trigger a memory? A diagnosis?



No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?