Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Challenge 4, Part 4: Self Respect


Please respect me as an introvert.  I'm trying to respect me as an introvert, too.


"The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others on how you 
demand to be treated.  Don't settle for anything other than respect."

"Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no 
longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy."

"Cutting people out of my life does not mean 
I hate them, it simply means I respect me."

I wish I could give credit to whoever spoke the words above.  

My therapist has helped me see how powerful self respect is, and how hard it can be to uphold.  I have a very hard time being around my parents, as I am often the wrongful target of their anger and frustration. Now when the attacks begin, I leave.  When they confront me for leaving later, I can now tell them, just because I left doesn't mean I don't love you. In my head, the second part of that sentence is I am just learning to love myself more.  Like I said - a year and a half later, and 9 out of 10 times, I can remove myself from the situation that is not healthy or respectful.  Yes it's hard.  Yes I often call my therapist in tears as soon as I leave.  But it's a step in the direction of self respect.  And that's the place in which I'd like to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?