Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Challenge 6, Part 1: The Self


I picked this for my first venture on exploring "the self" because it's a feeling I've experienced a lot.  So many times in my life, I thought that people truly cared about me and valued having me in their life.  People actually wanted to spend time with me, and I gave my whole self to those friendships.  It's taken a lot of hurts to finally realize that sometimes when you invest too much, the relationship becomes unbalanced, and one day you wake up and realize the person you thought was your friend, isn't.  I see this as a positive quote, cause it shows that I've learned this lesson, cause I have not had to repeat it in quite a while!  It definitely wasn't a fun one to learn, either, but it was well worth it.  Sometimes you have to let people go so that you can take better care of yourself.  And that's worth it.

4 comments:

  1. I've experienced this many times! I think I always try so hard to make things easy on the other person that I somehow end up making myself insignificant. Sometimes it makes you look back and wonder how you didn't pick up on it earlier. But you're exactly right - sometimes you do have to let people go to take care of yourself. It can be an empowering thing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I feel - insignificant, because I want to make it easy for others. It's scary how well you get me sometimes Kashley! Today's post further explores the beating we allow ourselves to take to treat others better. One day!

      Delete
  2. I love that you did this hon.
    I think this is important to recognise that not all our lessons or steps in the journey of recovery and selfhood will be pleasant.
    This was spot on:
    "Sometimes you have to let people go so that you can take better care of yourself. And that's worth it."
    This is a lesson I have learned many times and have just this week begun to learn it again.
    But we get there in the end and there is always wisdom to be gleaned along the way xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The harder the fall, the better the lesson, right? I like how you put it - there is always wisdom to be gleaned along the way - I gotta remember that one! xox

      Delete

So? What do you think?