Friday, August 3, 2012

My Distraction Box

I got this idea from a fellow blogger over at Swallow a Spider.  She created a box that contains safe distractions for when she's in a tough spot.  I thought it was a fantastic idea, and have started assembling my own box.  I really like the idea of having everything in one spot, easily accessible, in case of emergency.  Sometimes when I get into that state of desperate panic where I don't quite know what to do with myself, well, this box could be a pretty handy tool.

Taped to the inside of the lid are phone numbers, in order of who to call first, so I don't have to look should I be that frazzled.

I've included a small stuffie and a small scrap of my favorite, extra soft, snuggle fabric, which is always soothing.  There's a bottle of panic meds and Advil, just in case I need something more.  Also inside are crayons, colored pencils, and a sketch book, all good distractions and fun!  Additionally, I've included a photo and message from someone very helpful to me, and a few motivating quotes that I like.  I put in a book to read, one of my favorites, so it will be like revisiting old friends when I read it.  There's also a mini deck of cards and a twist/toy fidget.  The last thing inside is a small kids mp3 player with a special message and some of my favorite songs on it, along with headphones.  I picked it up very inexpensively for a project that I never used it for, and while I likely won't need it, I figured I'd put it in, just in case!

I still may put other things in, and the contents will likely change over time, but for now, I know that if I were in a tough spot, and I didn't know what else to do, pulling this box out would distract me, at least for a little while!  (And even better, putting it together was a great distraction in itself!)


6 comments:

  1. This is a very neat idea! I just may have to borrow it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please borrow away and pass it on, too! If even one person gets something useful from this idea, then it was worth sharing! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I've made one of these before too - something that smells nice may also be helpful (I had a lip balm and a tiny container of a lotion i loved the smell of in mine). Very good job :) It's good to have a panic kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the idea of a scent! I actually have two favorite ones in diffuser oil... I think I'll soak a few cotton balls and stick them in a small container to inhale their sweet scent! Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. Your box is amazing! I love it :) What's snuggle fabric? That sounds soothing :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, snuggle fabric - I think it's actually called "ultra soft cuddle fleece" and I used it to make a blanket for myself. I have a few smaller scraps that I'll tuck into my pocket on rough days. I put one of the larger scraps in the box cause it is just so soft and soothing!

      Delete

So? What do you think?