Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Challenge 6, Part 2: The Self


I found this quote to be very interesting.  It sounds so simple, kind of like rewording that golden rule.  But the way I look at it, it's actually quite complicated.  I want people to treat me nicely, with kindness and respect.  However, I have not quite fully learned how to speak up for myself, in regards to the fact that I avoid confrontation at all costs.  Meaning, if someone isn't treating me nicely and respectfully, I will just suck it up and take it.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and chalk it up to them having a bad day, and me being the one who absorbs it.  Do you see any problems with that?  Cause for a long time, I sure didn't!  Now, though, after going through enough therapy and enough recovery, I see that there is an alternative - I don't need to suck it up and absorb it anymore.  I want to be treated respectfully and kindly, and if someone isn't doing so, I am working to give myself permission to walk away.  Tell them "You know what, this isn't working for me right now, let's try again later," and just walk away.  Easier said than done, but I'm trying!

4 comments:

  1. Very difficult. I find it hard to say that someone I really like, much easier to someone who I hold little respect for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - it is so much more challenging to stand up to those I care about... it's hard in general, but it's getting easier! And I'm starting to feel better each time I have to do so!

      Delete
  2. I am glad you have become stronger in yourself and your recovery to walk away from people who you don't treat you in the loving way you derserve. I can very much relate to all you have said, especially the difficuties in wlaking away when you are so accustomed to 'sucking it up'. Thank-you for being such an inspiration!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie-Rose... as you know, it isn't easy. Then again, neither is sucking it up! xoxo

      Delete

So? What do you think?