Saturday, June 23, 2012

Week 16: Giving

I consider myself a very giving person.  Or at least I've been told I'm a very giving person.  All I know is I much rather prefer to give than to receive.  I'm not good at receiving.  Unless, of course, it's criticism!

One of my favorite things to do is surprise someone with a gift - whether it's a small token from the dollar store that made me think of them, or it's a homemade batch of their favorite cookies, or if it's a regular old store bought gift.  Sometimes a simple compliment lights up peoples faces.  I love bringing smiles to other people.

The balance, I believe, comes in the motive.  If my motive for giving is to make someone smile, great.  If my motive for giving is to make myself stand out so I am more special, not so great.  If my motive for not wanting people to give to me is because I already have all that I need, great.  If my motive for not wanting people to give to me is because I feel unworthy, not so great.

I have been reminded, quite a few times, actually, that the good feeling I get from giving, comes from the giving itself.  Which means, if I want other people to be able to feel that same good feeling.... well.... I have to let people give to me, too.  I hate that logic, but it does make sense.  If only being on the receiving end wasn't so darn uncomfortable!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?