Friday, June 29, 2012

Arielle's Word-of-the-Day: MYSTERY

June Blog Challenge Day 29: MYSTERY


It's likely no surprise that I am not a big fan of mystery.  Anything unknown scares the bejeebers out of me.  When I'm watching a movie, I'll often mute it or change the channel when the suspense gets to be too much for me to handle.  Even if it's an episode of a television show that I've seen many times before, and actually know the outcome, when it gets to *that* part, where the mystery has built and is at the turning point, I'll still change the channel, even though I know what's going to happen!

Interestingly, there is one kind of mystery I don't mind at all... it's the one I'm in control of.  Like when I'm reading aloud to my students and drop my voice, the room grows eerily silent as they hang on every word... and when I stop reading and close the book on a cliff hanger?  It's like being in an athletic stadium when your favorite team scores.  The kids loudly complain and beg for just a few more pages.  That kind of mystery?  I love.  I know what is happening and where things are heading, so I can handle it.

If you've read previous posts on my blog, you know that I am definitely one who prefers structure and planning, and am not good with spontaneous happenings.  I think that's why I have never really enjoyed reading mystery books, either.  I get really, really anxious while I'm reading. I mean, I've read the entire Harry Potter series multiple times, and know how it all ends, yet... if I read any book beyond book 4 before bed, it gives me terrible nightmares. 

So, to sum up a rather rambly post, while I appreciate the mystery of life, I prefer a little less mystery in my life.  I wish that things were just a little more transparent sometimes, and a little less scary.... then again, maybe things are quite transparent, and my vision is still rather clouded.  Hmmm.  Guess it really is all about perspective!


 Prompt: Does life hold mystery for you?  Do you wish it did? Does mystery scare you? Thrill you? Is it good, bad, or do you feel indifferent towards it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?