Friday, June 22, 2012

Arielle's Word-of-the-Day: HOME

June Blog Challenge Day 22: HOME

This is quite a timely word for me, as my sister comes home for a visit today!  She lives overseas and doesn't get to come home all that often, so it will be nice to have her in town for a whole month!

The idea of home is a touchy subject.  Growing up, I felt at home in my bedroom.  It was my place.  The only place I could escape to and feel (somewhat) safe to do as I pleased.  I loved my bedroom.  I cried when I moved out of my parents house, only because I would miss my room.

I was involved with horses from the time I was 11 until my mid-20s, and I always felt at home around horses.  My first horse was my best, best, BEST friend, and I could tell him anything.  I was even known to sleep in his stall when we were away at horse shows, just because it felt so safe there, with him watching over me while I slept.  To this day, I attribute my survival to my horse, cause without him, I would not have made it through my turbulent adolescence and teenage years.

My current home, a small little apartment, is just the right size for one.  It isn't my dream home, but it is mine, and it give me a place to live, with a roof over my head and three locks, so I'm pretty safe here.

In all reality, though, home is just a word.  I say that because until I truly feel at home in my body, it won't matter where I am, I'll always feel somewhat like an outsider. I know it is going to take a lot of work to change that, and I hope I'm up for the challenge!


Prompt: What is home? A place? A person? Have you ever felt at home? Have you worked hard to create your own home? Is it a place inside you or a place you’ve built around you and your family? Get to the deeper meaning. Post a picture of your “home” if that’s easier to describe your feelings.

2 comments:

  1. this was beautifully written - I do believe in coming to a place where the body is embraced as home - the vessel that carries who we are - when home is found in our skin - we can find it elsewhere xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey. I like how you worded that - the body is embraced as home, very poetic!

      Delete

So? What do you think?