Thursday, June 28, 2012

Arielle's Word-of-the-Day: TRAVEL

June Blog Challenge Day 28: Travel

View from above...
When I was younger, travel was rare.  The state in which I live has some great places to take "staycations" but even those were few and far between.  We usually just did day trips.  Once I hit junior high, we were "old enough" to visit my grandparents who spent the winter months in Mexico.  Those trips sound like they would be fantastic, right?  Well, I would say that four-fifths of my immediate family enjoyed the trips (yes, we went for a few visits over the years) and one-fifth didn't.  You may be able to guess which fifth didn't.

My favorite Mexican Retreat!
As I got older and entered the employment world (which at that age, was babysitting!) I sat for a few families that took me with them to babysit on trips, which led me to Florida and Chicago.  It also opened my eyes to the world outside of my home town.  I loved getting to pretend I was part of their families (even though I was the nanny) and live in a world that was so different from mine, even for just a few weeks.

Once I "grew up" (using that term loosely) I visited a few more states traveling for yoga workshops and retreats.  Again, I was lucky to travel as an employee of the yoga studio, which is the only way I was able to afford such travels.

The Santa Monica Pier
The biggest moment for me came when I ventured, for the first time EVER, out on my own, and flew to the east coast for a yoga workshop.  It was my first time traveling alone, my first time staying in a dorm, my first time staying with a roommate... a lot of first times in that trip, including the first time I took the risk to assert myself, which resulted in an amazing friendship with someone who I consider one of my closest friends.  That one week workshop led to several summers visiting this friend, spending 3-5 weeks living with her family and helping her with various tasks.  The experience of traveling solo, on such a scary and unknown adventure, led to such a sweet experience...
Millie's Secret Place... FAVORITE book ever!
Honestly though?  I'm really a home-body.  For me, as much as I enjoyed my yoga trips, and love visiting my friend, my favorite method of travel is in my mind.  I love revisiting old friends, heading to Millie's secret hiding place, the banks of Plum Creek, the Moonshadow Campground, Forks, Diagon Alley, the city of Ember, Narnia, Prince Edward Island, and even Assateague Island... books were my favorite method of transportation, and hold many of my most cherished memories.

A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.
--Tim Cahill 


Prompt: This can refer to an actual trip (or many trips) to other countries. Maybe to other cities. Maybe it’s a figurative journey you’ve taken in your life at some point. Maybe it’s the journey of motherhood or a career traveling. Maybe you have dreams to travel that are driving you to your goals.


2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, I like what you did in this post...travelling to your real, personal past, and travelling to the million worlds in the pages of books...which has always been my favourite method of transportation too!!!

    I just started yoga classes! Am enjoying it a lot although it's much more brutal than I expected on my poor, unused-to-exercising muscles! Are you a yoga teacher? Or a keen student? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I think my love of books is what kept me alive as a kid, and what helps me reach the "non-readers" who enter my classroom each year. Cheapest way to experience the world - through words :)

      Yoga is AWESOME. And yes, you will discover muscles you never knew existed! I am both a yoga teacher (for kids) and a practitioner. I find yoga to be a journey within itself, actually!

      Delete

So? What do you think?