Monday, July 16, 2012

Week 29: Made Ya Laugh!

This week's task is to write about something I did that I can now look back and laugh.  It's taken me a long time to be able to laugh at myself without beating myself up, and even then, it's only in certain situations that I can do so.  Like, my classroom!  As sensitive as I am, when I'm in the classroom, I have no trouble taking a joke and that's where most of the "laugh at me" moments happen!

I have a tendency to get really excited about learning, and sometimes with that excitement comes a bit of tripping over the tongue, mine, that is.  At least once a week I'll be asking a question, but instead of asking the question, I'll give the answer instead!  When I first found myself doing this, my students and I got a big chuckle out of it.  My concern was that it happened often enough where I didn't want it to impact their learning, so I made a game of it!  Now, when I answer the question instead of ask it, we still laugh, but then the kids try to come up with the question I was supposed to ask, since I've already given them the answer.

A less frequent occurrence, though still at least once a semester, we will be in the middle of a class discussion of sorts, and I'll head over to the dry erase board to grab a marker.  Well, of course it starts with good intentions - I'll get a few notes on the board, or a drawing of sorts (my drawings are very laughable themselves, but that's a different story!)  As the conversation builds, unless I put down the marker, well.... Let's just say if marker tossing was an Olympic sport, then I'd definitely be in medal contention!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, love this little burst of lightness :)

    I get excited and tongue trippy about learning too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without learning, what fun would life be? After all, the learning doesn't have to be academic... :)

      Delete

So? What do you think?