Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Power of Sleep

It is amazing how important sleep is.  I know that my body needs 7-8 hours of sleep every night.  I'm an absolute mess if I get less than that multiple days in a row.  It's kind of ironic, though, that the times that are most important for me to get enough sleep, like, say, when there's a big event coming up, or I have a presentation due, or something like that, are the times when I get the least amount of sleep.

This is one of those times.  I have a pretty big weekend coming up, and am going to be going pretty much non-stop for three straight days.  You'd think I'd be certain to get enough sleep!  I really planned on it, tried to, was all set-up for sleep success.... and then my computer decided to act up.  Which mean that the little project that was supposed to take a half hour, took longer.  Like 10 times longer.  Literally.  Five hours.  Five hours of work on a very simple, already done project, that just needed to be exported.

Nine.  That's the number right now.  Nine.  It's the number of hours of sleep I've gotten in the last TWO days.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I've gotten 4.5 hours of sleep for the last two nights in a row, and something is going to have to change ASAP if I'm going to stay healthy on this little sleep.

So what to do?  Can I just throw the computer out the window?  I don't know that I've ever been as frustrated with technology as I was last night.  Usually, me and my tech toys are connected at the hip, but last night.... oh was it a mess.  I actually had no choice but to give up and go to sleep, otherwise I'd have been in big trouble today.  A nap today would be nice, but I'm not sure my students would go along with the afternoon nap plan... sleeping on desks would get uncomfortable.

I'm going to go to work and try to make the day as simple as possible (and might actually play a video for my class, something I rarely do!) so that all that needs to be done can get done.  I actually don't plan on even opening my computer tonight when I get home from the festivities, instead, I'm going to go straight to bed.   That's not going to be easy, but as a good friend once said, we don't need easy, we just need possible.

Life is full of possible... I just like the possibilities a lot more when I'm well rested!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?