Today is World Suicide Prevention Day.
Which kicks of National Suicide Prevention Week.
A few statistics:
- Data from The World Health Organization (WHO) indicates that 1 million people die every year of suicide worldwide
- There is one death by suicide every 40 seconds
- There are more people lost to suicide than to homicide and war combined
- Suicide ranks as the second leading cause of death worldwide among 15-19 year olds
- More than 100,000 adolescents die by suicide each year worldwide
- Highest rates of suicide are among those age 75 and older
- Up to 90% of people who take their own life have a psychiatric disorder
A few sites for information and support:
There is always help, please be brave enough to ask, you are worth it!