Friday, September 28, 2012

Challenge 11, Part 5: YOU

I got an email the other day.  That email contained my biggest nemesis: a compliment.  Not just a little compliment, a big, huge, super meaningful compliment.  It hit closer to home than any compliment I've ever gotten.  Especially since it came from an eight-year old.

I should be happy. This child, in a conversation that was shared with me, paid me the biggest compliment I could ever hope for as a teacher.  This compliment spoke directly to my philosophy as an educator: I teach kids.  I teach kids, not math.  I teach kids, not science.  I teach kids, not reading.  I teach kids, not writing.

Yes, I teach kids to do all of the above.  But I teach the KIDS.  It's up to them to learn the subjects.  My goal is to inspire them to want to do so.  My goal is to motivate them to ask questions about math, about reading, and about writing.  I want them to take their learning into their hands.  Yes, I am the teacher, but I can't learn for my students.

Instead, I find myself learning from them.  And from this little one?  I learned that somehow, among all the chaos in my life at the moment, I'm doing something right.  I learned that even when I don't want to get out of bed, much less get dressed and leave the house, once I'm in my classroom, the teacher comes out and good things happen. Things that make an eight year old say "My teacher makes me feel confident in myself.  She gets me." 

I just wish I knew what it was that I do...... 


6 comments:

  1. Ah this is lovely. And the nice thing about kids? They don't sugarcoat things or feel the need to make nice like adults do. They are truthful in the way that only kids can be. So a compliment from a child is probably the truest and most heartfelt kind.

    It's nice to have that external acknowledgement sometimes - especially when you feel like you're muddling along. That little voice that says, actually, you're doing just fine. MORE than fine. You're making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I think that I prefer compliments from kids than from their parents, they feel more real, if that makes sense? If anyone ever figures out how to mute the negative voice, and record a louder version of these positive moments, please share, cause I need it! xo

      Delete
  2. Isn't this so wonderful... It sounds to me that you are an incredible teacher. I think Cheryl is so right in saying that you make a difference. Indeed you do.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Kylie-Rose. I love what I do, and I love when I make a positive impact in my student's lives - it makes everything worth it - the negative stuff and the lack of respect for teachers are nearly always outweighed by the little positives the kids bring! xo

      Delete
  3. I love it when you say (and do of course) that you teach the kids, but leave it upon them to learn. That's the perfect exchange, as I see, between student and a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's like that old adage, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink! (And believe me, I've tried!) Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the comment!

      Delete

So? What do you think?