Saturday, July 28, 2012

Comfort Zone


I am a person who loves routine and stability.  Which is why when I was asked to step out of my comfort zone, and do something that I'd rather not do, I panicked.

A few weeks ago I, was encouraged to start volunteering.  I mean, why not?  Anne Frank said "no one ever became poor by giving."  She may have meant that in financial terms, but I think it also applies to time.  I do have time to give, so why not give some?

Because I am afraid.  That's why.  Because I am afraid to commit doing something that I might not be able to handle.  How do I know I won't be able to handle it?  I don't.  And I won't, unless I try.  No matter how scared I am, I have to try.

So this afternoon I finally took a chance and emailed an organization I am interested in volunteering for.  According to their website, they require a minimum commitment of one hour a week.  I think I can handle that.  At least, I hope I can.  Volunteering is something that would help me in so many ways, especially volunteering for an organization like the one I chose to contact. Now that the ball is in motion, I'm in that information gathering stage, where I need to know as much as possible, so I can find a bit of a life preserver as I head out of my comfort zone and into the zone where the magic happens.

Here's hoping for some magic.....

2 comments:

  1. I was in this exact position and have still not applied or looked into a volunteering position because of it. I hope you get into it. One hour doesn't sound like a large amount and I think you'd be able to handle it. You can do this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keri, I hope I can do it also. It would be really, really good for me in so many ways. I'll keep you posted on how it goes, and maybe we'll both end up finding a great place to volunteer! Thanks for writing and for your encouragement!

      Delete

So? What do you think?