Monday, July 30, 2012

Challenge 4, Part 1: Self Esteem


self-es teem [self-i-steem, self-] noun
a realistic respect for or favorable impression of oneself; self-respect.

Self Esteem is a very tricky little bugger.  Self esteem is how you hold yourself.  It has little to do with others, it is your perception of your self.

And I have none.

I fake it pretty well, though, as unless you spend a lot of time with me, you likely couldn't tell.  Or at least that's what I've been told.  Sure doesn't feel like I can fake it that well though.  In my eyes, I reek of insecurity and self-loathing.  I feel somewhat like a fraud, as others are always shocked to find out the truth.  The very few that I have let in, that is.

BUT.

It's almost as if it's an effect of recovery.  To overcome this, it's as if gaining some self esteem is a side-effect.  And that is really good news for someone like me.  It means I have a chance to take a new perspective.  I have a chance to see myself through new eyes.  I have a chance to see in me what others seem to see, which is a pretty cool person (it makes me ill to write that) that has a lot to offer the world.

I can say that without self esteem, life is not terribly happy.  It doesn't take much to rob someone of self esteem, and it's worth the effort it takes to build it.



4 comments:

  1. I want to hug you. You are so wonderful, always giving so much love and support to others. You need to believe in yourself and listen to what others tell you and believe it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jackie. I should have a little banner that reads "will travel for hugs" :) It's amazing how hearing something one way whole life shows up in adulthood. Life can be so flipping tricky sometimes! I am trying really hard to listen to you all. Every little bit does help! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything Jackie has said here. I immediately noticed your kind nature in regards to supporting and helping others - I hope you can see just how wonderful YOU are!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie-Rose. I have my moments of believing and listening, and they're starting to get a little longer lasting. One day at a time, right?! xoxo

      Delete

So? What do you think?