Sunday, January 19, 2014

Week 3: Inspirations and Influences

Well, I gotta think about this one a bit.  I wrote a whole post out and then realized it doesn't fit this week's topic!  Saved for another day, I suppose......

Anyway, inspirations and influences is the topic of the week.  Inspirations and influences I have plenty.

Inspirations and influences..... this may sound a little funny, but I am often so inspired by my students.  I mean, some of these kids, not even teens, have experienced so much in their short lives.

Just this week I visited a student in the hospital with a new cancer diagnosis.  A few weeks ago I was talking to a student with a very, very severe case of something similar to cystic fibrosis, as she readied for her second major surgery in six months.  Before the holidays, I had a lengthy conversation with a student who is struggling with the fact that her father left the family, moved across the country, yet still wants to be "dad" to a child who doesn't want to speak to him.

These kids have been through hell and are barely old enough to tie their shoes.  Yet, they still have such a positive attitude, that they inspire me.

Often, after a rough day at school, I will look at some of the notes students have given me over the years, and remind myself that this is why I teach.  These kids.  They let me into their lives for one short year, and they likely never realize the mark they leave on my heart.......

2 comments:

  1. And you may be the single positive thing that happens to them that day. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post - it speaks loads to who you are as a teacher.

    You are doing wonderful work with them ... continue it :)

    ReplyDelete

So? What do you think?