Sunday, January 12, 2014

Week 2: Favorite Childhood Memory

It's been over two years since I responded to this prompt, way back in 2001.  A lot of memories have surfaced over the last two years, some good, some not so good.

But this is about a favorite childhood memory.

So let me tell you about the times that my mom would go out for the evening.  I can't say how frequently this happened, but I do remember it happened often enough for me to look forward to our daddy-daughter date nights.

It was when I was between the ages of four through six.  My mom would go out for the evening, and as a special treat, my dad would let me stay up a little later than usual.  He'd put my brother to bed, and then the fun began.

We had this really old wooden chess and checker set, one where the pieces stored inside the board.  We'd sit in the kitchen, which was mostly white, and covered in white wall paper with a pointillism-like cloud pattern in greens, reds, blues, and yellows.  We'd sit at the kitchen table, which is the same kitchen table still present in my parents house.

And we'd play checkers.
Just me and my dad.

Even more special was the treat my dad gave me while we played.

Bubble gum.

The real, pink, sugary, bubble gum.  Something my mom never let me have.

We'd play a few games, with me happily chewing on a piece of gum, and then I'd get tucked into bed before mom came home, so our evening's events remained a secret just between me and my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?