Tuesday, January 7, 2014

OverReacting

I don't know about you, but I'm really, really masterful when it comes to overreacting.  Like, I could have a PhD in overreacting.

Take today, for example.

The midwest got pummeled with snow.  I mean lots and lots of snow.  We're talking 12 inches (or more, in some areas!)  So Monday's therapy session was cancelled as the roads were impassable.  Totally and completely.   (I will add that school was cancelled, too!)

Then today comes along and brings sub-zero temperatures with even colder wind chills.
No worries, though, therapy was scheduled for this morning, the roads were clear, all good, right?

Wrong.


My car decided it didn't want to start.  Not even a slight roar of the engine.  So therapy was cancelled again.

What did I do?  Burst in to tears, sobbing uncontrollably, for quite a while, actually.  I was such a wreck, I couldn't even call my therapist.  We communicated by text, which is usually a rare occurrence, reserved solely for schedule changes.  Today?  I broke that rule.  I whined and cried and essentially threw a temper tantrum.  All via text.  Not cool on my part.  Missing therapy two days in a row?  In the state I've been in?  Not cool.  So not cool.

However.
Neither was my reaction.
I mean, in the grand scheme of things, missing therapy here and there is really no big deal.  It's a small blip in life.  As my therapist said "Missing your therapy appointment is a survivable event."  And she's right.  Except I didn't handle it well this morning.

And as I sit here, nine hours later, still waiting for the tow truck to come get my dead car, the horrible headache is still lingering from my morning breakdown.

Guess I know what I need to add to my "to learn" list this year.........

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this - these days it's just moment by moment for me. Some moments I think I just want to give up completely and hide under the covers FOREVER, other days I feel more calm and like there really is hope and a light at the end of the tunnel. The key for me is remembering the moments of grace WHILE I am in the moments of despair. Be kind to you.

    ReplyDelete

So? What do you think?