Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pick a topic, any topic

For NaBloPoMo, there have been daily topics posted to help people blog along the way, reaching for that 30 in 30 goal.  While thus far I've been able to meet the goal, I'm starting to fall into the negativity rut.  Because of that, I decided to give one of the daily topics a try.  I chose the prompt from Tuesday, November 13th.

What is the bravest thing you've ever done?

I didn't go away to university.  I stayed living at my parents house and commuted for classes.  I actually lived at my parents until I finally moved out in my mid-twenties.  This meant I never shared a room with anyone, never lived in a dorm, never had to share a bathroom, never had to eat cafeteria food......

An opportunity presented itself for me to go spend a week in the beautiful Catskills for a training.  It sounded on paper like an amazing experience.  It looked in pictures like peace on earth.  Except.... I'd have to fly there alone (never traveled alone before, either.)  I would be off to a place where I knew no one.  I would be living in a dorm room, and would be rooming with a complete stranger.  I would be using a common bathroom.  Eating in a cafeteria.  Spending several hours a day in a workshop with people I didn't know.  Socializing with these people during meals and evenings.  And doing all of this for a full week.

Hello?!  This was so not me.  So not something I'd do.  I was so not brave enough!

Yet.... I made it.  And it was an AMAZING week.  I grew so much in those seven days, I can not even begin to tell you.  And that week long experience, the first solo traveling I'd ever done (mind you, I was in my late 20's at that point) led to some wonderful experiences traveling to visit new friends (made during that week!) in states I'd never been to before.

That trip was me taking a chance, a big one, and hoping that my fear wouldn't outweigh the opportunity and ruin things.  It didn't.  It broadened my horizons in ways that I can't even begin to explain......  No, I still don't like traveling alone.  Yes, I still have major social anxiety.  But I also seem to have a reserve of bravery that stays buried until it is absolutely needed.  And I can live with that.

2 comments:

  1. I was required to travel (by plane) alone at an early age, as my parents divorced when I was 5 and my mom and I moved to Texas and my dad lived 1st in Maryland and then in South Carolina. So, I have done this more times than i care to count. I still hate it. I can do it, but I would rather not. I have social anxiety too, and knowing I CAN do this doesn't make it easier. So, I am so proud of you, who had never traveled alone or stayed with strangers, that you were able to this and enjoy the experience! That is indeed brave! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not imagine traveling alone at that age Tamara, wow! You're spot on too in mentioning that just because we know we CAN, doesn't make it any easier.... it was quite an experience for me, and I'm glad I pushed through it! Funny thing is, the strangers I stayed with? She's now one of my closest friends! Funny how that works!

      Delete

So? What do you think?