Saturday, October 6, 2012

Challenge 12, Part 3: EMBRACE

This background for this quote was taking at an incredible 5K event.  I've never run a 5K, but after being there, my goal is to complete that same event next year. 
Yeah, um.  I'm so not there yet.  My body might be the most amazing thing that I'll ever own, but more often than not, I don't feel like I "own" it, instead, I feel like my body "owns" me.  I mean, I have to deal with all the aches and pains that come from years of mistreatment.  I have to deal with the allergies, the sensitivities, the maintenance, all the stuff that isn't fun.

And all the while I really do try to remind myself that my body is a gift, and that others would be grateful to be in this vessel.

Truthfully, as much as I don't like my body, I really am grateful for it.  Even though there are bodies out there that I'd much prefer, I could have ended up with a body much worse off than the one I'm in.

How does this all fit in the "embrace" genre?  Well, I have fully embraced the idea that this body is mine, for the rest of my life.  Though right now I'm not fond of it, I'm reminded pretty regularly by my team that I'm actually doing a pretty good job taking care of not only my body, but of my mind, too.  I never thought I'd embrace therapy and this taking-care-of-me crap, but it turns out, while I was resisting the concept of self-care, I was actually doing exactly that - taking care of my self.

Funny how things work sometimes......


2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I have a hard time embracing my "brain" because I have a mental illness. Alot of times I'd rather trade brains with someone else. Thanks for the reminder that there are alot of people out there who would be thankful to have my brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I regularly ask my therapist for a lobotomy, because sometimes I think I'd have an easier time living in my body if I had a different brain, but alas, it is not possible. Instead, I try to do as you, and remind myself that I've got it pretty good overall, and things could always be worse, so be glad for what I do have.

      BTW - LOVE the Wave bracelets you've got going on - what a clever way to remember the flow of life when you're drowning in the challenges!

      Delete

So? What do you think?