Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Who?

Courtesy of Sketches in Stillness
Isn't this a good question?  Who was I before the world decided who I should be?

Rephrase:  
Who was I before I decided to let society tell me who I should be?

I have absolutely no idea.
As someone who became a social chameleon by age four, I don't know that I ever really knew who I was, or what I wanted.  I remember one moment, being very upset at preschool because I didn't get to sit on the teacher's lap for my birthday (as was tradition.)  I also remember being told that it is no big deal, you'll sit on her lap another time.

In other words, what I wanted, what I thought should have happened because of the social expectations in the class, didn't happen, and I was told that there was no reason to be upset.  

Did I know the vocabulary then?  Nope.  Did I realize at that moment what was happening?  Nope.  Do I realize now how quickly I learned to surrender my ideas, desires, wishes, even needs, to those who were "in charge" of caring for me?  Nope.

But now I do.
And as an adult, I can change.


No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?