Tuesday, September 25, 2012

National Psychotherapy Day

Today is the first annual National Psychotherapy Day.  I am proud to share this information with the masses, because I have experienced the benefits of psychotherapy.

This movement is just beginning, and it's an important one.  Therapy should not be reserved for the just special situations.  Therapy should not be seen as a decadent indulgent for the middle class.  No, therapy should be seen as a lifesaving tool.  Cause that's what it is.

Therapy saved my life.  Not once, but twice.  Because at two different periods in my life, my world came crashing down around me and I was unable to dig out from beneath the rubble.  The first crash was as a young adult when I was facing some major life changes.  The therapist I worked with then was more of a short term experience from which I benefited greatly.  The second crash was more recent, and this time, I had a team to help support me, led by my incredible therapist.

See, therapy isn't just a place to go to dump your worries and whine about your life.  Therapy is a place to go if you are seeking change.  Therapy is a place to go if you want to make your life, and your world, better.  Therapy is not for the faint-hearted.  Therapy is not easy.  In fact, it's the hardest work I've ever done.  EVER.

But I'm becoming a better person because of it.  I'm on the road to liking myself, for the first time ever.  And for me, that's a huge step.  While my history may be littered with experiences that would shock many, because of therapy, I know I don't have to let the past define my present, or ruin my future.

To the most amazing team of professionals - my dietitian, my doctor, and of course, my therapist, I am forever grateful for your guidance!


Oh, and please do not think you can't afford therapy - there are people and places out there that will help you!

Read more about National Psychotherapy Day here and find them on Facebook!  Also check out this article written by one of the founders of National Psychotherapy day, as well as these articles written by those who support the day.

4 comments:

  1. All the way through this I was thinking ME TOO ME TOO ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I once told my therapist that I thought everyone should experience therapy at some point - even if they weren't sick, whichI is of course when most people tend to seek out help. But even as a questioning tool, a clarifying process, a setting down of goals or intentions...I wouldn't be the person I am today without therapy. I probably wouldn't be alive at all. Even if I WERE alive, I wouldn't have the curiosity about life that I do now, and the determination, and the commitment.

    And I agree - it IS hard work! But so, so worth it. I'm actually thankful for my eating disorder, if only because it was the reason I got therapy. So maybe things DO happen for a reason.

    Much love as always xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Therapy truly has changed my outlook on life - I'm one that generally easily gives up on myself, yet I have all the patience in the world for others. Therapy is helping in so many ways, and I so agree - everyone should have the chance to experience it! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hello! I simply wish to make a enormous thumbs up with the great info you’ve got here for this post. We are coming back to your site to get more detailed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grate sharing, It is true that,Psychotherapy can help with a number of life's stresses and conflicts that can affect anyone. psychology.ws | Psychologist NJ

    ReplyDelete

So? What do you think?