Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wonderland

While I loved the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland, as well as the books, I have to admit, I wasn't able to get through much of the latest version (even though I do like Johnny Depp!)

What made this quote stand out to me though, is the concept of falling down.  I have done a lot of falling down in my life.  A lot.  We all have.  Think about when you learned to walk, or ride a bike... falling was par for the course!  It never stopped you from walking or biking though.

So why, as an adult, when I fall, do I feel so defeated?  Where did I lose that sense of purpose, of adventure... where did I drop the zest for newness, the thrill of accomplishing what felt impossible only moments before?  When did I become so fearful of trying?  So afraid to live?

My wonderland is still out there, I know it is.  It's possible I'm actually living in my wonderland right now, but I'm stuck in that dark hole, and just haven't yet reached the light.


2 comments:

  1. You bring up a really good point. I think, for me, it's because each time I fall it feels like I'm tallying up all of the times that I *have* been defeated, so it gets harder and harder to imagine that I won't be defeated this time.

    For what it's worth, I think you have a wonderful sense of purpose. When I've seen you talk about your job, it's obvious that you love it. That, to me, shows that you feel like you have purpose. It just takes some time to recognize those kinds of things. I have yet to be able to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the perpetual tallying of defeats, kinda like waiting for the other shoe to drop. I do love my job, but sometimes I need others to remind me of that, as I sometimes get wrapped up in the darkness of the hole, and need others to light the way out! Thanks for the encouragement Kashley, and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

So? What do you think?