Sunday, November 2, 2014

I Don't Buy It

You know what I don't buy?  The need to place celebrities into the spotlight even more than they already are.  C'mon, I mean, these people are already often on camera in front of millions of viewers.  Why does their private life "have" to become our business?  Why do we care who is dating whom, where he ate dinner, who she was spotted with on the beach, and how much their house costs?  Are our own lives so empty that we need to feed on the lives of those we don't even known?

I can't.  I won't.

I purposely avoid the teacher's lounge at school because I don't care what is going on in Hollywood.  Or in Dollywood.  Or in Bollywood.  I care what's going on in the world around me.  I care about finding ways I can make it better.  I don't want to hear gossip about people who we don't even know, yet some talk about them as if they did.

I don't need that gossip fill up my brain, and the reason for this article comes from that point - while I don't watch or listen or read the stuff, I'm starting to hear about it from my students.  And to listen to nine and ten year olds talk about the latest Kardashian situation, or how much some celebrity's car cost, or did you hear what that football player did?  That makes me feel ill.  I'm sad for these kids.

When I was their age, I was reading books, climbing trees, going to baseball practice, playing in the backyard, imagining new worlds on the swingset, creating games to play with friends, making mud pies and potions out of nature's gifts, and listing to kid-friendly music that could only be heard on cassettes or CDs.

In other words, I lived in a naive little bubble called childhood.

I'm kind of sad for the kids today who no longer have the chance to live in that bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?