Saturday, March 2, 2013

Reflecting on NEDA Week

Anatomy of an Eating Disorder
This is going to sound SO cliche, but this week has been quite an eye-opener for me.  Life pitched one too many curve balls my way, and it took a huge effort not to strike out.  I've learned a lot, read a lot, shared a lot, and I'm a week further into recovery than I was when the week began.

Please remember something very important.  While this week has been designated National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, eating disorders strike at any time, any person, any place.... eating disorders are treatable mental illnesses, but they MUST be brought to light before any change can occur.

Please don't wait until this week next year.... continue shining light on eating disorders, and all mental illnesses.  In eliminating the secrecy, we eliminate some of the power of the illness.

And never forget, one person can make a difference.  Even if it feels like your words are falling upon deaf ears.

I had a hard time choosing the final blog to feature for the week.  So I'm going to include a few for your perusal.  Arm yourself, you never know when the knowledge will come in handy!

The Begin Within blog has some great resources and not just for eating disorders.  My favorite post on the blog is Carrot, Egg, or Coffee Bean.  A very insightful read.

Psych Central has a ton of resources, and I get easily overwhelmed on the site.  Somehow though, I landed on Margarita Tartakovsky Weightless Blog, and I'm happy I did.  She tackles body image in general, and we all know how much help I need in that department!

We Are the Real Deal is a blog that my dietitian introduced me to.  It's a great all-around resource for eating disorders, body image, recovery, and life in general.

She'll Be Free is a blog that I bookmarked ages ago, and since has moved to a new host.  Don't let the lack of posts on the site fool you, the archives go way back!



Anyway, I know there's been a lot of posts on the blog this week, between wrapping up 26Acts, kicking off the 30 Day Recovery Challenge, and NEDA week..... Thanks for sticking around and joining the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?