Friday, April 5, 2013

Views from the Window

I was sitting in the window seat of a restaurant the other day, and while I waited for the rest of my meal pals to arrive, I watched the hustle and bustle of the busy sidewalks on the other side of the glass.

In particular, I found myself noticing one thing.

Shoes.

It seems that I've spent a lot of time looking at shoes lately.  Noticing the styles (welcome back 1984) and the colors (neon?  really?) and how shoes compliment the wearer's outfit.  I've never paid much attention to shoes before.  I find a pair that I like, buy them in black and brown, and I'm set.  Comfort over fashion, that's the way I roll.

You know who has interesting shoes?  My therapist.  She's got some rockin' kicks.  I should know, I've spent a lot of time staring at them lately.  Which is kind of unusual for me.  I'm learning that when the conversation gets tough, I experience a brain freeze not unlike the kind one feels upon drinking a milkshake too quickly.

We've been wading through uncharted waters these past few weeks.  It's been really mucky, too, with all the crud that has been dredged up.  But as with all muddy ponds, when things start to settle, the water starts to clear up.  Then you can see straight through to the bottom of the pond, where a mysterious and beautiful world awaits.



3 comments:

  1. Love the quote in your post and the analogy at the end. My therapist used similar one for me recently - we talk about how all my "stuff" (eating, relationship, work, health school) was whirling around in a blender and I kept reaching in and thinking I could pull out just one thread.

    It's really hard to settle down and just let the murk settle, isn't it? It means allowing all that muck and uncertainty to be present. Good luck to both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post you've created - so much truth, hope, and honesty in this post! The quote you've added is especially fitting, also. You are walking through "strange" territory, and it seems you're working hard. You're doing well - so very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I can't wait to see what beauty and mystery await you when the water clears

    ReplyDelete

So? What do you think?