Sunday, February 23, 2014

Kicking off NEDA Week


Today kicks of National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, and the theme for this year's week is "I had NO idea."

I am really familiar with this theme, cause the few people I told about my eating disorder responded with their own "I had no idea!"  Followed by many stereotypical responses that only further fueled my eating disorder, and led to sharing it with few others.

My goal is to post daily during this week, sharing bits about my recovery process (one I am still in.......) and resources for those who are struggling or know someone who is struggling with an eating disorder.

*Here's a few facts to kick off the week:
  •  You can't tell whether someone has an eating disorder based on their age, gender, ethnicity, size, or sexuality.  Basically, you can't tell by looking if someone has an eating disorder.
  • Eating disorders are as serious as heart attacks - they have the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder.
  • Despite stereotypes that eating disorders only effect women, one in three or four men/boys also struggle with them.
  • Sadly, more than 2/3 of youth struggling with an eating disorder have not gotten the treatment they need.
  • In the United States, 20 million women and 10 million men suffer from a clinically significant eating disorder at some time in their life.
Eating disorders are no joke at all.  If you're concerned about a friend or loved one, speak up!  Pay a visit to NEDA's website for support in approaching those you care about.  There's support for them, and for you.

*Facts courtesy of the NEDA website.



1 comment:

  1. ED's have the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder. This statistic does not surprise me but unfortunately does baffle many others. This is one of the reasons why I love awareness weeks xo

    ReplyDelete

So? What do you think?