Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Being a Grown Up

A while back, I posed a question about what it means to be an adult.  While that post didn't generate as many answers as I hoped for....... a recent experience shed a little light on this whole, mystical, "grown up world" that I am so conflicted in regards to my membership.

I had a rather unpleasant "grown up" experience the other day, one in which most adults are supposed to experience once they reach the ripe old age of 50.  I'm not 50 yet.  Nor am I all that close to 50.  But my medical history dictated the need for the nasty test known as a colonoscopy.  Now, the test itself isn't too horrid, but the day before?  The preparation?  It was N-A-S-T-Y.

But I did it.

And I survived.

And while I did NOT enjoy one single part of the whole experience, I knew it was something that needed to be done.

In other words......

I took care of myself.
I acted like a grown up.
Cause one of the requirements of being a grown up is taking care of yourself.

I may have "grown up" in the taking-care-of-my-body department..... which is definitely a positive step........ now.... to learn how to be kind to myself in the process of taking care of my body?  That's a whole different ballgame.... in fact, I don't even think we're on the baseball diamond anymore......

Sigh.................


2 comments:

  1. Oh dear - that doesn't sound fun at all! :( I wish I knew what being grown up meant too because I am longitudinally of that club but somehow feel my membership is in constant peril. I think taking care of yourself is a big first step, though, and maybe acknowledging the inherent uncertainty involved in that is the next step. Be well - I hope all the results are okay for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't lie, it is terrifying to think of how much work it is to take care of my body.... especially knowing that I suck at it most of the time, but baby steps, right?

      Delete

So? What do you think?